800 years of hospital history
On the 1204’s first floor, around the restored apothecary’s shop, the story of Dijon’s former hospital’s site is told from its creation to the closure of its departments in 2015.

800 years of hospital history

The Great Chapel
The Great Chapel © François Weckerle / Ville de Dijon

The apothecary’s shop
The apothecary’s shop © Philippe Maupetit / Ville de Dijon

At the 1204: the General hospital’s apothecary

Presentation of the apothecary comes as the highpoint of visitors’ discovery of the former general hospital’s heritage. Its 17th-century woodwork is lined with the pharmaceutical jars from which generations of apothecaries prepared remedies for the sick. Following painstaking restoration, the apothecary is back where it belongs, in an area specially laid out to receive it

800 years of hospital history
800 years of hospital history © Philippe Maupetit / Ville de Dijon

At the 1204: the story of the site

From 1204 to 2015, over 800 years of hospital history were written within these walls. An animated film recounts the adventure: the story of a site and its buildings, whether humble or prestigious, as well as of the men and women that were its protagonists.

View of the general hospital and the Aubriot bridge
View of the general hospital and the Aubriot bridge © Bibliothèque municipale de Dijon

In the heart of the Gastronomy and Wine Centre

The 1204 makes an excellent departure point for understanding the history of the former general hospital. With the help of the site visit booklet, acquaint yourself with its heritage’s emblematic features, from the Chapel of the Holy Cross of Jerusalem to the Tree of Liberty, while making your leisurely way through the International Gastronomy and Wine Centre.

The Chapel of the Holy Cross of Jerusalem
The Chapel of the Holy Cross of Jerusalem / Philippe Maupetit – Ville de Dijon

The Chapel of the Holy Cross of Jerusalem

The Chapel of the Holy Cross of Jerusalem is the only architectural witness to the medieval hospital’s existence – a real 15th-century masterpiece open to visitors. The restored building resembles a series of works dating from the 15th to the 17th century, echoing the Chapel’s original funerary calling, to which tribute is paid by the broadcasting of an original musical repertoire.

Accès directs

Accessibility
Learn more
Patronage
Learn more
Return to top of page